To keep your high blood pressure down is one of the best ways to prevent heart attacks and strokes. At least 57 million of us have hypertension — and 20 million more are on the brink of developing it! Fortunately, these natural cures for high blood pressure that you can do at home can bring almost anyone’s number down.
NOTE: The suggestions found in this page: Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure are not intended to replace appropriate medical treatment. The tips, supplements, diets, and medications recommended should be approved and monitored by your medical doctor or trained health care professional. . . Natural cures and remedies may cause complications.
Is it Hypertension?
If your high blood pressure is 140/90, you’ve got a high blood pressure. A reading above 120/80 is a sign that you’re at risk. But your blood pressure level can vary widely. For the most accurate reading:
- Hit the ladies’ room. A full bladder raises blood pressure by making your nervous system think you’re stressed.
- Sit calmly for 15 minutes beforehand. That’s enough time for blood pressure to stabilize.
- Lift your arm. Resting your arm on a desk or chair raises readings by up to nine points!
High Blood Pressure Natural Cures – Easy ways:
- Pare points by sitting up
- Surprising research links a slouched sitting posture and forward-jutting neck to a 16% rise in blood pressure.
- The connection: Nerves that keep pressure in check come directly from the spine — and slouching pinches them, hindering their function.
- Whenever possible, sit in a chair with a firm back that’s low enough for you to rest your feet on the floor.
- Still tend to slouch? Place a rolled up towel between the small of your back and your chair.
- Melt stress with Mozart
- Playing classical music for 30 minutes, 3 times weekly, could trim 7 points off your blood pressure! “Soothing music helps slow heart rate, and reduces the production of pressure-raising stress hormones,” says Mitchell L Gaynor, M.D., author of The Healing Power of Sound.
- Does classical music make you sleepy? Take a nap! An extra half-hour of sleep daily could cut five points off your pressure!
- Soothe your nerves with a hug
- A mere minute or two of cuddling with a loved one daily is enough to dramatically reduce stress and anxiety — and send your blood pressure plummeting by as much as 30%, recent research suggests.
- Not a hands-on kind of person? Try yoga instead. A review of a dozen studies found that it reduces blood pressure even more effectively than medication!
Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure: Foods, Herbs and Diet
- Boost circulation with beet juice
- It’s rich in nitrate, a compound that converts to artery-relaxing nitric oxide in the digestive tract. In a study, volunteers who drank a glass saw their blood pressure drop 10 points in 4 hours!
- If you’re not a beet juice fan, try a supplement, such as Sonne’s Organic Whole Beet Plant Juice, $26.51 at vitanet.com
- Important: Always check with your doctor before taking any new supplement
- Relax blood vessels with this herb
- Olive leaf extract! A daily 1,000 mg. dose can lower systolic pressure by 11 points and diastolic by 4 in eight weeks, research shows.
- Bonus: The same study found that olive leaf extract helps people with prehypertension avoid developing high blood pressure. Credit goes to the herb’s active ingredients — including oleuropein, oleanic acid and quercetin — which help relax and widen blood vessels, says James F. Balch, M.D., coauthor of Prescription for Natural Cures.
- Dodge meds with sesame oil
- Using it instead of other oils in cooking can reduce too-high blood pressure, suggests a study. When people with hypertension were given 1 oz. of sesame oil daily, their blood pressure plunged 32 points in two months — and their need for pressure-controlling medications dropped by 67%! Sesame oil’s heart-healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) — along with its plant compound called sesamin — work together to relax blood vessels, preventing pressure spikes, researchers theorize.
- IMPORTANT: Never stop or reduce your medication regimen without consulting your doctor first.
- Stop pressure spikes with apples
- Enjoy an apple — any variety — or a cup of apple sauce a day and, studies show, you might also enjoy a 37% drop in your risk of ever developing high blood pressure!
- Eating one medium tomato or half a cup of tomato sauce daily, too, could lower your blood pressure 10 points in two months. Tomatoes are rich in artery-relaxing lycopene, the American Heart Journal reports
Would a low-salt diet help the high blood pressure sufferers?
It’s worth a try if your blood pressure stays high despite taking medications. A new study suggest that when pressure won’t budge, switching to a low-salt eating plan may drop pressure as much as 22 points in a week! People who are salt-sensitive appear to need to rid their diets of salt before other remedies can have a positive effect, researchers say.
Source: Excerpts taken from Woman’s World, p. 14. December 29, 2008 issue
To obtain Woman’s World Back Issues send check or money order ($2.50 per copy) to:
Woman’s World Back Issue Dept.
270 Sylvan Ave.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07362
More Online Information: Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure
- Natural Remedies for High Blood Pressure
Learn about natural remedies for high blood pressure, such as herbs, diet, nutrition, chinese medicine, ayurvedic remedies, supplements, and home remedies. According to the American Heart Association, nearly one in three adults in the United States has high blood pressure. But nearly one-third of those people don’t know they have high blood pressure, because it’s a silent disease. People can have high blood pressure for years without experiencing symptoms or knowing they have it.
- Natural Rememdies for High Blood Pressure
If you’re wondering how to lower blood pressure naturally, there are three things you should try to do. Exercise, eat right, and take herbal vitamins for high blood pressure.
- The Best Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure
As such, it’s become almost necessary to look at the natural world to find cures for high blood pressure. Remarkably, not only are natural cures and remedies for high blood pressure safe and don’t have any side effects, but are also far more effective than prescription medication and drugs.
Searches related to: Natural Cures for High Blood Pressure
natural remedies for high blood pressure | herbs for high blood pressure | high blood pressure hypertension | high diastolic blood pressure | prescription drugs high blood pressure | high blood pressure medications | high blood pressure sodium intake | natural ways to lower blood pressure | high blood pressure natural cures | herbal high blood pressure