There are several things you can do to reduce the risk of breast cancer – one of them is to eat well. Aim for a mostly plant-based diet rich in in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Be sure to eat some of the cancer-fighting foods listed below:
1. Almonds – a great source of monounsaturated fats. Researchers in Stockholm found that women who consume monounsaturated fat may have a lower risk of breast cancer than those who eat other kinds of fat.
2. Beans – In a study published in 2005, researchers found that women who ate legumes at least twice a week had lower rates of developing breast cancer than those who ate beans less frequently.
3. Broccoli – Rich in sulforaphane, a plant chemical that in lab experiments interferes with the growth of breast cancer cells.
4. Soybeans – Isoflavones found in soybeans help to reduce the risk of breast cancer by protecting cells from the effects of estrogen.
5. Spinach – Rich in betacarotene and lutein, both powerful antioxidants. In a 1997 study, researchers from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences found that women who ate spinach more than twice a week had lower rates of breast cancer than those who rarely ate the vegetable.
6. Salmon – A 2003 study by researchers at the University of Singapore found that postmenopausal women who ate an average of 1.5 to 3 ounces of fish or shellfish daily were 26% less likely to develop breast cancer during the 5 years of the study than those who ate less seafood.
7. Flaxseed – A 2005 study University of Toronto researchers found that women with breast cancer who ate 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed each day slowed their rate of cancer-cell growth.
8. Garlic – In laboratory experiments, scientists have found that allyl sulfur and other compounds in garlic slow the growth of tumor cells.
9. Green Tea – An excellent source of catechins, potent antioxidants. Studies have found that women who sipped green tea daily were less likely to develop breast cancer.
10. Olive Oil – High in monounsaturated fats, hydroxytyrosol, and oleuropein. Researchers discovered that oleic acid in olive oil reduced the levels of a protein produced by one of the genes known to cause breast cancer.
Source: Natural Health, October 2007 issue, p. 94
When I was first married, I was very happy. I’d come home from a hard day down at the shop, and my little dog would race around barking, and my wife would bring my slippers. Now, everything’s changed. . .
When I come home, my dog brings my slippers, and my wife barks at me.
Daily Health Dose of Wisdom
“The Lord gives strength to those who are tired. He gives more power to those who are weak.” Proverbs 31:10